Friday, September 25, 2009

And I'm At Work!

Tuesday marked the beginning of another gunnery and FARP for me. This wasn't a normal gunnery where the pilots go out and qualify though. We are only doing it to give an infantry unit some air support to go along with a field exercise they are doing. It's been pretty cool the last few nights. I have been able to watch them assault a mock village, seen tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles shootings and seen a lot of artillery exploding.

 CIMG0030 These are the M1A1 Abrams tanks rolling up to the village with some Humvee's behind them.

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG0026 This is the mortar team that is set up about 50 yards west of our position. It's pretty cool to see them shoot. You can watch the mortar go straight up into the clouds for about 10 seconds but then you have to wait about a 40 seconds for the round to impact due to it's serious hang time.

CIMG0034

 

Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG0081 You can't see it but that flame is from a Abrams tank firing just behind the ridge line. That's some serious firepower.

 

 

 

CIMG0086 Prepare to fire!

 

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG0087 Fire!

 

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG0088 Prepare to fire again!

If you enlarge the picture you can see the soldier holding the next round ready to drop in. The mortar is almost as big as his torso.

 

CIMG0089

This is one of my favorite pictures because if you look closely you can see a big flame hidden inside the smoke.

 

 

CIMG0103 The impact area downrange. This was the result of the mortars firing.

I've been watching thing like this the last few nights now along with the Apache giving some air support with it's 30mm cannon and rocket volleys. And to think, I'm at work!

5 comments:

Robert said...

Very, very cool! I suppose it would be different if someone was shooting back!

Robert said...

Nice "about me" pic, very tough.

Mari said...

Great pictures! I'm glad you are enjoying this and like Dad said - I'm glad no one is firing back!

Unknown said...

That is very interesting, we saw a mock cannon firing once and that shook your insides I bet this is way worse!!!

Melissa said...

I bet you are in your glory with all this. For me, it's hard to believe that this is in Colorado, it seems like something out of a movie...
Hope you're doing well!