This weekend I did what had to be the dumbest, most intensive thing I have ever done. I hiked the Manitou Incline.
The incline started out as a railroad that ascended to the top of Mt. Manitou in the early 1900’s before it was closed. All that remains now are 5,000 railroad ties with an elevation gain of over 2,000 ft over a total distance of just under a mile. It averages a 40% grade with a maximum grade of 68%. Once you reach the peak you are standing at an elevation of about 8,600 ft above sea level. Pretty intense if you ask me. You can see the scar of it going up the side of the mountain in the picture above.
This is the start of it. A very foreboding sight.
These two were taken about a quarter of the way looking both up and down. The parking lot in the center of the second picture is the starting point.
You gotta take breaks to catch your breath, both from climbing and from the views.
After a long afternoon of climbing I finally made it to the top.
This is looking towards downtown Colorado Springs from the summit.
Here you can see the city of Manitou Springs in the foreground with Colorado Springs in the background.
Hiking up the incline was very difficult but it was fun and I may do it again. But first I need to get some feeling back in my legs.
4 comments:
That is quite a hike! I'm glad you survived it. Beautiful view though!
Wow! I'm out of breath just looking at it!
Better you then me, but then this next summer we will be hiking around Yellowstone and the Tetons, so unless I want them to cart me home in a box I better get some exercise in!!!
I bet the views were wonderful!
You have to be in good shape to do that one!!! but the views are amazing~~~Good job
Post a Comment