Saturday, July 19, 2008

What A Year It's Been

1 I can't believe it's already been a year. Yes indeed it was 1 year ago today that my life got flipped upside down when I began my U.S. Army career. I have experienced so many things in the last year, I just wish that I could put remember everything and share it all. I know that this gets said a lot, but there are some things that I have experienced that someone not in the military just wouldn't understand.

I began my Army career at Basic Combat Training at Fort Jackson, SC. I was in 4th Platoon "Night Stalkers", Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 39 Infantry Regiment.

100_1534

Like most new soldiers I was not looking forward to BCT. It had it's hard times and it had it's good times.

There was hard times

   Drill Sgt. Primus Brown instructs Soldiers from B Company, 3rd Battalion, 30th Infantry as they learn to high-crawl through a sand pit as part of an obsticle course on Fort Benning's Sand Hill Tuesday, Oct. 17.  The Soldiers are in their fifth day of Basic Training.  Photo by David Dismukes

But there was also fun times

060809-F-7234P-364 100_1536

(pugil training and victory tower)

I even got to eat some MRE's

mre

After 9 weeks of enduring everything the drill sergeants could throw at me, I was ready to graduate. And on September 27, I graduated from basic training . . . 

100_1566  100_1569

and got to see my family again.

100_1576 100_1580

After BCT I moved on to Advanced Individual Training, at Fort "useless" Eustis. Simply for the fact of not making a novel out of this post I will direct you to this post about my time and experiences there.

And that brings me here. On May 7th I began my deployment in South Korea. I have already had many more experiences here which you can read about in earlier posts.

For the most part I have enjoyed the last year. There were points when I had wondered if I had made the right choice and there were times when I just wanted to go AWOL. But I stuck with it and am happy I did.

I am also happy to announce that I am no longer wearing this on my chest

pv2but instead am wearing this . . .

pv3  Yes, I have been promoted to Private First Class. It has a nice ring to it. Pfc Andrew Bruins.

The arms inspection is over. It ended on Friday. I never really had any contact with the inspectors, which was good. Overall my company only got 2 or 3 unsatisfactory ratings which was really good.

The last thing I have for you is that monsoon season has started. It rained Wednesday, Friday and today. There is also a typhoon right off the coast of South Korea that is going to hit us sometime this week. That ought to be fun.

Andy

Hooah! It's an Army thing.

13 comments:

Terri said...

Congratulations on being promoted to Private! That is really great. I can imagine that's it's been quite the year for you. You've done well!
Glad that your inspections are over and your company did good!

Unknown said...

Hooray for you PFC Andy, that does have a ring to it. Be proud!!!
I'm sure your experiences have been a multitude to different things to remember. Sounds like you better have your umbrella handy or just something strong to tie yourself to and hold on.

Cheri said...

That's awesome- Uncle Mark and Nick say congrats. We are very proud of you.
Take some pictures of the monsoon- and stay safe!

Melissa said...

Congratulations on your promotion! I can't believe it's been a year already!

Anonymous said...

congratulations on the promotion from me also! and good luck with monsoon season, have fun with that.

Cherdecor said...

Congratulation PFC Andrew Bruins! I enjoyed reading about your experiences. I will pray for your safety during the typhoon.

Mari said...

Congratulations! We are so proud of you! You've done many things that I don't think I could have handled and continue to make us prouder all the time. Love you!

Robert said...

What a year, we've all grown a great deal. We are all so proud of you
Pfc. Bruins.

Love You, It's a civilian thing.

Anonymous said...

WE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU!!! We've been wondering when the Army would recognize that you're PFC material. Long overdue! Well done soldier, well done. It has been quite a year, hasn't it? Love talking to you, reading your blog, and sending you packages. Looking forward to first-hand accounts of monsoon season too. Stay safe, come home in one piece...you know the rest.

With Love from your proud aunts. (love your dad's sign off!!)

Heather said...

Congrats on the promotion! I am so proud of you and everything that you have done this past year! Can't wait to hear about the monsoons!

Love you

Laura said...

I'm so proud of you! That's awesome. I guess I'll have to address any packages differently now huh? PFC Bruins now. :)
Love you, be careful in the monsoons!

Dena said...

Happy Armiversary!!!

Your family misses you but are OH SO PROUD OF YOU!

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm a blog friend of your mom's. Just wanted to say congrats on the promotion! Way to go!

A typhoon, huh? I'm sure I'll hear all about it soon. My hubby, LTC Hemphill, will arrive at the end of this week (C-7 8th Army); look him up if you need anything.
Great blog!