Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fort Donelson

A few weekends ago I took a drive out to the Fort Donelson National Battlefield. It is the site of a civil war battle along the Cumberland River. It was really interesting to drive around and learn about the battle and how decisive of a victory it was for the Union at the time.

It was a three day battle which started on February 13th, 14th, and 15h, 1862. It was a Confederate camp that the Union attacked due to its location as being a vital supply route. The Union was losing the battle for most of the first two days, but won due to some poor decisions from the Confederates generals.

There was cannons set up all over occupying the same positions they were in 148 years ago.


The bottom four photos are all of the battery overlooking the Cumberland river.



This is the valley where the fort was along with a replica of a cabin were the Confederate soldiers lived.


I thought this was interesting. It is a quote from Union General Smith. He said this as he charged towards the retreating Confederates.







After I finished walking around the battlefield, I drove over the the national cemetery. I found it interesting that no Confederate soldier was buried here because they fought against the Untied States. Only Union soldiers were buried here.


This is the Dover Hotel. It was the place where the General Grant met with Confederate General Buckner to discuss the terms of the south's surrender.

It was a very interesting place to visit and I learned a lot. If you’re ever in area its a neat place to check out.

6 comments:

Mari said...

It would be a great place to visit! I enjoyed the pictures.

Cheri said...

That does look like a fun place to visit!!

Heather said...

That looks really cool! I cannot believe that you went to see a Civil War battlefield without me! I think I will have to visit that one sometime! It looks like you got some great pictures!

Unknown said...

Can't believe the comment General Smith made to his men, not to encouraging. Looks like an interesting place to visit.

Terri said...

I would love to visit. Those historical sites are so interesting.

Shelly said...

It is always interesting to see a civil war battlefield. Thanks for sharing.