Monday, November 3, 2008

Korean War Memorial

CIMG0018 As I mentioned last week I was planning to go to the Korean war memorial this weekend. Well, it wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be. We got in for free because we are military which was a good thing. It had some interesting exhibits but only a few times did they happen to mention the other countries that helped them out.

CIMG1314 This was one hallway that listed what I am assuming to be the names of all the South Korean soldiers that died in the war.

 

 

CIMG0053 CIMG0052

In another hallway they had listed the names of all the soldiers form the other countries that participated in the war. These two boards had the names of all the soldiers from Michigan.

CIMG0093

This was an exhibit called the drop. It was made up of over 1,300 dog tags that symbolize all the soldiers who gave their lives. The barbed wire wrapped around it symbolizes the horror, suppression, and danger of war.

 

 

 

CIMG0113 For those of you that have seen  Full Metal Jacket, you should remember the part where Gunnery Sgt. Hartman tells one marine to "show me your war face!" Well here is my war face.

 

CIMG1439 This is Wilson(right), the cool commander, me, and Mackin(left). We were goofing off and put Mackin's sunglasses on the mannequin. It makes him look just a little tougher.

 

Here is a short video of some more pictures that I took.

It wasn't really that bad of a trip. It is always god to get another prospective of something and we always have a good time when we do things like this.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE your war face!! It looks like you had a fun time!

Terri said...

Even if it wasn't what you expected - it's still nice to get away. By the look of your face, you found a way to have fun!

Mari said...

It looks like Dad would enjoy a visit here. Even though it wasn't quite what you thought I can tell you had fun. You did another good video too - love the music!

Robert said...

Nice war face, ranks right up there with Jack Nicholson peering thru the door with the axe hole cut in it.

I think most countries think they won their wars by themselves without the U.S.'s help, look at Britain and Russia in WWII, (and us to some extant). I will say though it must be hard for the Koreans to think THEY won the war and ignore the U.S. Army STILL in their country.

Cheri said...

It does look like a fun trip.
I really like the "drop" What a neat exhibit.

I hope I don't have bad dreams now because of your war face!