Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Homeless Part 2

CIMG1043 So their we sit in the back of a taxi, with a little over 50,000 won to our name and a taxi driver who wants 200,000 won to take us home. He happened to have a map in his glove box and we were able to pinpoint our exact location on the map. If you refer to the picture the finger in the top right is pointing to Wonju/Camp Eagle. The lower left is where we were. About straight over to the left of Wonju by the coast is Seoul.

We didn't have enough money to get a hotel for the night and pay for our bus ride home in the morning. So we walked back over to the bus stop were previously the taxi drivers had a fire going. Unfortunately it was out. We tried to rekindle it but not having any burnable items or any way to get flame again quickly stopped that idea.

We ended up huddling together on the benches outside the bus stop for warmth(see picture from last post).  However after nearly an hour of that and still being cold we had to get up to get our blood flowing again. It was nearly 0200 and curfew is at 0300. Luckily in our efforts to get warm we walked past a hospital and thought "hey I bet their waiting room is warm." So in we wandered and amazingly enough the man sitting behind the counter didn't care.

We sat in the little waiting room for nearly an hour while some people cam and left and then around 0330 when there was no more patients in the hospital the doctors came out, saw us, said something to each other and then started waving at us to follow them.

After much persistence on their part as to what they wanted, we hesitantly followed them. Lo and behold they led us back to an even better room that had leather seats and couches, which is where we spent the remainder of the night. We took the first bus out in the morning back to Seoul and arrived back at Camp Eagle, via the U.S. military only bus, at 1730 on Sunday. I was never happier to see little ole Camp Eagle.

So there you have it. Quite the adventure that I don't plan on repeating any time soon. Although I don't think I'll ever forget that warm hospital in the middle of no where Korea to soon.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, you poor homeless boys, did you get in trouble over this??? Hospitals are good places after all. Huh??

Mari said...

I'm so glad there were some nice Dr's that helped you out. I'm glad I didn't know this was happening at the time! God was certainly watching over you that night.

A Stone Gatherer said...

God provided! I love it, now be true to your word and don't do that again! I'm with your mother! I'm so glad we heard about it afterwards, but God heard prayers for you guys! Glad your back and safe!

Cheri said...

man what a long night that could have been- so glad they had sympathy for you and gave you a warm place to be.
I'm also wondering if you got in trouble for this. I hope not!

Melissa said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it back safely. That was really nice of those doctors!

Heather said...

I'm glad to know that there are some nice doctors over there willing to help out three cold American guys!! I am glad that you made it back to base safely after all that, though!

Anonymous said...

I think that was excellent training for our military enlistee's. Duane.

Terri said...

I see the compassion in your Uncle's comment. Did you get into trouble for getting back late? I hope that doesn't mean you have to stay in Korea longer!