Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Weekend Part Deux

I am not scared of spiders although I will give credit to the spiders living in South Korea. Some of them are big enough and build webs big enough that the could catch birds. And I am not joking. Spiders are everywhere here.

This means you have to watch where you are walking with great caution. So begins the story. I was walking up to the px on Saturday casually minding my own business. I took the back way to the px which leads underneath a small tree with several low hanging branches. I am always careful in this spot because I have seen several spiders here before. However this time I was in a rush to get some aloe to put on my sunburn and then catch a bus which means I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been.

Needless to say I walked headfirst right into a spiders web. Delicious. I preceded to frantically wipe the web of of me and do a thorough pat down of my head making sure I didn't have any visitors there. Nothing. Good. So I continue on my journey thinking what a nice day it, wait, why does it feel like there is something crawling down my arm. Aaaagggghh! There's a vicious blood sucking creature on me! After several long seconds of panic I decided the best course of action would be to simply flick the fowl beast of of me.

The flicking plan worked to get the little infidel of me but he managed to shoot a web from my arm to control his fall. Oh, It was on then. I began doing a dance of death trying to stomp the beast however he was doing the dance of survival just as well. Luckily no one was around to see me embarrassing myself. I stepped on him once and I thought I heard him say "ouch" but I could be mistaken.

After several minutes of this waltz my nemesis must have grew tired because I was successful in ending the little vermin's life. I then threw my hands up and proclaimed "I have killed the beast" much like Tom Hanks did in Castaway after he created fire. I was quite overjoyed.

So ended the epic battle. Later that night I managed to get this evidence of the size of spiders here. 100_1366 

100_1367 This guy was relaxing outside a window in the hall way. He was about the size of a small tarantula.

I can not wait until I get back home and the biggest spiders I have worry about are daddy long legs. Suddenly they don't seem to bad.

11 comments:

Terri said...

I guess you do have to watch where you're walking over there. I didn't know that there were so many spiders. At least you conquered - I would expect that from our military guys!!
Katelyn and Chelsea would never survive there!! :)

Karla and Diane said...

If that had been me battling a spider that size over here, you could have heard me screaming all the way in Korea. Yuck!! Nicely told story Andy.

Cheri said...

OK- You and Laura are obviously clones just born a few years apart. I could have sworn I heard her voice telling that story!

They are really big and disgusting!!

Anonymous said...

ewww!!!! that is so gross, i would have run screaming for someone to get it off me, that is disgusting. but i'm picturing you doing "the dance" and i'm laughing pretty hard. although i do pity you

Melissa said...

Ewww! I hate hate hate spiders! I think I would have been doing the dance too, but with some screaming and girlish freaking out involved :)

Mari said...

Now I am going to have to worry more about you - if you are in so much danger daily!

Robert said...

Mmmm, does pepper spray work on spiders?

Unknown said...

That must have been one cute dance you did. I happen to kinda like spiders but when they surprize you it is unsettling. I had a tarantula once and she was a beauty. Her name was rosy. I gave her to the school for the kids to study. She actually liked to be handled and had such soft little feet.. I know you think your mom's friends are a bit titched, but its ok.

Laura said...

AHHHHH! I would freak out if a spider that big was anywhere near me. I'm not usually a chicken about bugs (although you would probably beg to differ...) but yikes!

I was pretty sure I got big by a brown recluse the other day because my ankle had a big 'ol swollen bite on it and I told Aaron that I thought I might actually be turning into a brown recluse. After he made a mocking comment I told him that when my transformation was complete he would be the first one I was going to bite!

Heather said...

EWWWW!! I hate spiders, especially the big ones. I am grateful that we don't have any that big over here!

Lynn said...

I forgot about the spiders in Korea. They really are abnormally huge....and terrifying. Glad you won war with the giant beast. :o)