Monday, May 25, 2009

That's Pad Chief to You

100_1689 Well I hope every one has a good relaxing memorial day. I know I will because I have a busy 2 weeks coming up. It is once again time to go to the farp, which stands for Forward Arming Refueling Point. Basically it is where we armament dawgs make our money. The Apaches will come land at the farp and we will load some 30mm rounds and rockets up then the pilots will go shoot at some targets.

At a farp the spots that the helicopters land at are called farp pads. The head guy in charge of each pad is called the pad chief. And lucky me I got put as the pad chief for the number one pad. This is good and bad. I am looking forward to doing this because I love working at the farp. It's always awesome, loading up rounds and rockets with blades spinning and feeling the immense power of the aircraft as it lifts off the ground just feet from where you are standing. But the bad part is that the number one pad is usually the busiest.

This is supposed to be a two week long gunnery with the Apaches firing during the day the first week and at night the second week. However it is supposed to storm and rain off and on this entire week, so I guess we will see how much ammo we actually go through.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Congratulations on being pad chief! I know you'll have a good time in the middle of the busyness!

Terri said...

It's always good to stay busy!! We thought about you and your fellow soldiers a lot today and throughout this weekend!
Thanks for serving our country.

Unknown said...

Wow, pad chief!!! Now that sounds like your gonna be working 24/7..Better enjoy the down time when you can!!! Hey, thanks for all you do and tell your buddies we are praying for all of you

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Pad Chief Bruins. We're so proud of you. Can't wait to hear all about this experience.