Thursday, May 15, 2008

In Processing

So my first day in Korea began with some very boring briefings about things like what to expect in Korea and so on. Then I got put on another bus that took me to the base I am at currently, Camp Stanley. This is where I am doing all of my initial in-processing.

One of the things I have to do here is get several shots. Two of them that I am not looking forward to are smallpox and anthrax. The pictures we saw of the smallpox were disgusting. The anthrax shot I have to get is the second in a series of 6. When I got the first shot it didn’t really hurt till the day after I got it. I could barely lift my arm to shoulder level cause it hurt plus it gave me a huge welt. Needless to say I am not looking forward to it.

Anyway Wednesday we are going on a cultural tour of the ROK. We are going to eat lunch at a restaurant that serves normal Korean food and then go up a mountain that we will be able to see for miles all around including into North Korea. So I am going to try to take some pictures to post for you all.

On a side note, Korea kind of reminds me off Guatemala. There are mountains all over, though not as many as Guatemala. It has more plains. But the scenery is somewhat the same. The roads are much better too. However the people driving, well that’s another story.

Andy

13 comments:

Mari said...

We've been going over the info you sent - very interesting! I'm glad you're getting settles in and can't wait to see pictures

Heather said...

I can't wait to see some pictures! Hope to talk to you soon!

Lynn said...

Hi Andy! Welcome to the ROK! I am a faithful reader of your mom's blog, and my husband and I are stationed at Osan for another two months. Please let us know if you need anything or have any questions. When you talk about the "mountain where you see into North Korea," I hope you are taking the DMZ tour. It is really interesting and helps you understand why you are here.

Lynn (therohals@yahoo.com) or (www.rohalcall.blogspot.com)

Cherdecor said...

Hi Andy, Welcome to the blog world. We prayed for your safe arrival and quick adjustment to your new place. We will be following your blog and enjoying the pictures you put up.

Thank you for serving our country. Our prayers are with you.

Terri said...

I can just imagine the driving over there. I remember in China; we called it organized chaos. I'm thinking it's the same in Korea? Glad you could talk better to the family. It'll be good, once you get the webcam too!

Melissa said...

I hope these shots don't hurt so bad! I can't wait to see pictures! Have fun on your tour! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Andy, I work with your mom and have been following your induction into the military life since day one. I'm so glad you arrived safely and are settling in. It will be a pleasure to read your blog. God Bless!!!

Heather said...

Hey Soldier, it didn't take you long to get Blogging. It's great to hear from you no matter how we get the info! I am wondering, and I suppose we'll find out when we get your address, what Battalion and all are you with now?
Dad
p.s. I'm doing this under Heather's name, but it's really me, your Pappy.

Shelly said...

Glad that you got the spot that you want. I know your Mom and worked with her. Also, will look forward to your updates, pictures and will also keep you in my prayers.

Shelly

A Stone Gatherer said...

Hi Andy! It will be fun to keep tabs on you over there! Stay safe and have fun working on those copters!

Zaankali said...

Yeah! I look forward to hearing how you are doing!
Smiles!

Cheri said...

I hope your shot isn't as bad as last time. Nick and Mark get to go next week to get their Hep shots for Guatemala- Nick isn't looking forward to it!
I'm so glad you got the camp you wanted!

Laura said...

Wow - look at you go, you're doing way better at blogging than I am! I'm glad to be able to read about you though! Love ya!