So today is memorial day. I have to admit that in years past I never really thought about the true meaning of this holiday. I thought about it more as a day off from school and work. This year however, this holiday had taken on a new meaning for me. I realized just a portion of what it takes to be deployed and be away from your family for several months. I am so much more thankful for those that have gone before me and provided those freedoms so that others don't.
The Medal of Honor is our nations highest award for military valor. It is reserved for those soldiers whose actions are so extraordinary, risky and above and beyond the call of duty that nobody would have criticized them for choosing to do something else instead. There has only been 3,459 of these medal ever awarded since it's creation during the civil war. Here are two examples of soldiers that got awarded the Medal of Honor.
The first being that of Marine Corporal Jason Dunham. Cpl. Dunham was on a patrol in Iraq on April 14, 2004 when an Iraqi insurgent jumped out of a car and grabbed him around the neck. They began fighting in hand to hand combat when Cpl. Dunham saw the insurgent drop a hand grenade. Instead of moving away from it and saving his life Cpl. Dunham realized the risk to the rest of the Marines in his squad and instantly placed his own helmet over the grenade and laid on top of the helmet, in the hope of containing his blast and protecting his men. Cpl. Dunham succeeded in protecting his men but lost his own life while doing it.
The second is Army Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith. SFC Smith was leading his helping to construct a enemy POW holding area near Baghdad international airport on April 4, 2003 when his task force was attacked by a large group of insurgents. Fearing his men would be overrun SFC Smith moved under withering enemy fire to a disabled armored personal carrier to man a .50 caliber machine gun. In total disregard for his life he maintained this exposed position in order to engage the enemy. It was during this that SFC Smith was killed. His courageous actions resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed and the safe withdraw of numerous wounded American soldiers.
I have one simple request of everyone now. I ask that you take one minute of your day and remember the soldiers who have died, the soldiers still fighting all over the world, and all the families who have lost a loved one in battle.
Andy
13 comments:
Will do Andy! And I'm sorry but you may not be in active combat, but you support the other men and women who are! You are protecting this country and you deserve to be thanked! So thank you for sacrificing! We will remember those who have served and died! God bless you and God bless America!
I remember stories that my uncle told me about the Korean war. Tori actually did a paper on this a couple of years ago. I think those stories need to be told over and over so we remember...
some lives were lost, some sanities were lost, some limbs were lost - we need to remember!
Thank you, Andy, so much for what you're doing and the sacrifices you are making for all of us! A lot of people do not appreciate our military and what they do for us but a lot of people really DO appreciate all of you!
Have a blessed day and please pass on my thanks to those around you too today! They are loved for what they're doing!
Thank you Andy, I am praying for the families of our fallen and for all of you now! God Bless You!
Deb
Great post Andy. I appreciated the examples of medal of honor soldiers. It's only fitting that we take a moment out of our day to pay tribute to all our soldiers.
Thanks for sharing those stories. I think too often we hear the negative side of war, and not the positive courageous acts of our soldiers.
Thank you for your service
Andy - there is a spammer message here above Melissa's. You will want to delete it and don't click on the link.
We will. There is also a special memorial service at the campground on memorial day. And the church service on Sunday is also dedicated to the military! Thanks to all you military soldiers. We appreciate everything you do.
Andy, Yesterday in church those who have served and those who have family presently serving were recognized. I immediatly thought of you and you being so far away from home and family and we want to
Thank You and those there with you serving our country. JB served six years in the navy during the vietnam war so Memorial Day always has a special place in our hearts. Thank you too for the remembrance of those who have paid the ultimate price for our freedoms. God Bless You and keep you in his care,
Jean and JB
Well said Andy. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
Love,
K&D
That was a great post Andy.
We are so blessed to live in the US and there were so many that have and still do sacrifice so that we can have this privilege.
I'm so proud of you and what you're doing- we miss you but oh so proud!
Andy, I am sorry that I was out of state and missed your mother's post about your birthday. I just read that you had a great birthday with 30 comments wishing you a happy birthday. You can now add my name to the total because I truly wish you blessings too.
You do have a wonderful family who supports you and are there for you. I wish I could meet them some day.
Thank you for serving our country and our God. Blessings to you during your time in Korea.
Wow. Thanks for sharing those stories. I can't imagine being in that position and making those choices. They are truly the real meaning of hero.
And thanks for your service also. You are sacrificing also and all of us at home thank you for that. I love you.
done! of course i try to everyday that i sit in my safe nice town - realizing it's a blessing and a gift!
Post a Comment