Sunday, June 1, 2008

FPCON

riot

Here is a some military lingo for you Aunt Karla and Diane. FPCON - short for force protection conditions. Basically it's the amount of security needed in response to terrorist threat levels against military installations. There are five stages of FPCON beginning with FPCON Normal then going from FPCON Alpha and up to FPCON Delta.

The reason I decided to share that is because the level just got raised for South Korea. I don't know why but for some time know there has been a ban on the importing of American beef. Just recently that ban got lifted causing some uproar amongst the civilian population in South Korea. South Koreans have a reputation for holding demonstrations that more times then not turn into a riot.

The commander of the U.S. forces of Korea had seen the lifting of the ban as something that could be a threat to military personal therefore raising the FPCON level, mainly because the riots and demonstrations often occur right outside the gates of military posts.

Now I don't know how you all feel on the subject but I don't see my self participating in a demonstration against imported beef. Then again I don't see myself participating in any type of demonstration. But I just think it's crazy the things that people start a riot for. Don't these people have anything better to do with there time. If you really feel like you need to start a riot at least be demonstrating against something reasonable.

Taking a quote from John Stossel "give me a break"

Andy 

8 comments:

Mari said...

That does seem a bit extreme to me too! But you know - I'm not the rioting type!

Heather said...

I agree - it is a bit extreme! If you feel the need to riot, do it against something worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

Karla actually read the ban on American beef was lifed in S. Korea. Didn't realize it would affect you! Or be that big of a deal. Sheesh! Give me a break indeed! So, here's hoping you're not at FPCON Delta. (Always love learning new military terms!)

Robert said...

PhhhhfpCon? A bit of bad beef? Hordes of rioting locals? Sounds like a good place for the U.S. Army! Go get'em boy!

Cheri said...

Ummmm, yeah- it definately sounds a bit ridiculous.
Now- if there was ever a ban on pizza- I would be right there!!!

AlaneM said...

I love John Stossel!
That does sound a tad nutty, maybe they just want to yell "where's the beef?"

Anonymous said...

Andy,

Wow that is crazy! It's not like beef is sacred like it is in India is it?
Aunt Jan

Terri said...

That John Stossel - he's usually got things right on. I probably would agree that a riot on beef is a little extreme but you know me, sometimes I like extreme things!