So after 4 days of stupid nonsense over at LZ Tom most of armament and some tag along fuel pumper's headed over to the farp. A farp is a forward arming and refueling point. It is a place that is ahead of where a normal base is located where aircraft can land and get more ammo and fuel or get any small repairs. This way they can get back into the fight quicker then if they had to travel al the way back to their home base.
This was my first farp so I was pretty excited to get out there and see the aircraft I work on everyday in action. Once the helicopter landed I would load 8 rockets on it while another guy would load 150 30mm rounds on board. Then I would move back while the helicopter took off.
I
I was only standing about 20 feet away from the aircraft when they took off. I did my best to hold the camera steady but it was just a little windy right there.
Many people have asked me exactly how big a 30mm round is. This is just the shell, the actual round is about 3/4 of the length of the shell. Makes the .50 cal look like a peashooter.
Another nice sunset in South Korea. So now you have heard about LZ Tom and the farp. My next question is how did I get from one place to another? Hmm, sounds like a post for tomorrow.
6 comments:
Very cool pictures. It's great to see your beloved Apaches in action!
That was COOL!I bet you slept with a big grin on your face! The music was a good addition to the video. Can't wait for tomorrow's post.
Andy- I'm loving these posts!
You do make some great videos.
That is a huge bullet.
Great pictures once again. I'm glad that ya'll are on my side!
I feel like I'm learning so much about the Army from your posts. LZ tom and Farp seems like inside jargon but I get to know all about it. I bet you got to fly in one of the Apache's didn't ya???
I do love your video montages! And althought POD isn't my favorite - that song went perfect with it! Sweet movie! And I also really liked those landscape photos.
Post a Comment